In honor of Father's Day I'm writing this post as a tribute to some of the fathers in my life. These guys are the dads in my own family and I have a reason to thank each one of them for living up to the title.
First, of course, is my own dad. I've been told I look "just like PJ" and it is pretty obvious that I am his daughter once you look past the obvious skin tone differences (though I'm trying my best to catch up with his tan). Let's just say for me it takes sitting in the sun fifty hours each week while he catches a few rays by the pool when he can. But despite the fact that I may not have inherited all of his Polynesian qualities, I love him and could not imagine having a different dad. I wouldn't trade a single day I've spent with him for anything, especially those special occasions we've shared. I can remember learning to ski while he steered me with one of those child leashes that look a bit inhumane. I love that I learned to ride a horse with him walking right beside me the whole time. I remember him cheering me on at whatever sport I happened to be playing- soccer, tee-ball, softball, volleyball. He encourages me to learn all that I can and chase ambitions. He sent me to "see the world" when I was eleven and didn't once question whether I was old enough. He was there for every talent show, parent night, playoff game, prom, and every other high school event that at one point or another seemed so important. And though I may not have shown it then, it was important to me that he be there. Any disappointment I have ever faced was never a result of my father letting me down. And for that I feel so lucky and so grateful. Happy Father's Day to the dad who showed me the right way.
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| Uncle William is a great dad and one of the most fun-loving people I know. This is him with my dad (the babies are my cousin EA and my little sister Haley) |
 |
| Father's Day 2012 |
There are those men in the lives of children who are never wrong no matter what they say or do. And for most people those men are grandfathers. Even Kenny Chesney sings, "As a kid I believed 'cause Grandpa told me so." My dad's father was such a grandpa to me. Honestly, a lot of the time I could be quite scared by him. He was a retired Navy Captain and never let you forget it. Everything had to be in order at all times. But beneath that stern military man was a loving and doting grandpa. I loved his stories and wisdom and I don't think I will ever meet another person as determined, loyal, and loving as he was. One thing I will never forget him telling me is "the world is huge, you can do whatever you want." He lived by that knowledge and expected his family to do the same. "And I lived by his words, 'cause Grandpa told me so." Happy Father's Day to Grandpa, whose fatherly kindness was never limited to his own children.
 |
Grandpa's 90th birthday in 2010
|
My mom's dad is a true Yankee Doodle Dandy, born on the 4th of July. That is his birthday but he's actually not a Yankee at all, as he is a southerner and an Ole Miss Rebel. My favorite memories growing up were the summers spent with Grandaddy. He's the grandfather who sits back and laughs at the humorous situations created by the grandchildren, or tells his own funny stories with enthusiasm while we stop and listen. He raised three daughters and then ended up with four granddaughters. I think being amongst so many girls all of the time contributed to his happy-go-lucky attitude. The man is just outnumbered. Grandaddy, like Grandpa, is a WWII veteran and is full of stories and wisdom that I love to hear. Happy Father's Day to Grandaddy, who loves unconditionally like any dad should.
 |
| My mom and her dad (Grandaddy) 1989 |
Two of my brothers are now dads and so I want to wish them a Happy Father's Day!
 |
| Kris and Miley 2008 |
 |
| Nic and Ryder 2011 |
Last semester at BYU I was able to spend time with my cousin Jeff and his four kids. He's an awesome dad and definitely lives up to the title.
 |
| Jeff, Kolby, Eliza, Carson, and Logan! And Brigham Young of course :) |
"A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child." The dads in my life have shown me that it isn't simply a job to be a father. It becomes his life and once it begins, it never ends. To me a dad is at his best when he exhibits Christlike qualities. When he bends down to tie his son's shoes, or picks him up when he falls off of his bike. I love my own dad for loving his Heavenly Father and trying each day to be a dad like Him.
"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." -Clarence Budington Kelland
No comments:
Post a Comment