Sunday, June 10, 2012

Seven Reasons to Love


I've found that the more something makes me smile, the more likely I am to love it. There are many things that make me smile. Here are a few:


- Books. I absolutely love to read and I especially love those books that can literally cause me to laugh out loud. Growing up, J.K. Rowling and Carolyn Keene were my primary storytellers. 


- Music. My favorite sound comes from the piano. I love having the piano in my life as something that doesn't ever have to be serious. I have hundreds of one-page samples of some of my favorite songs that I play over and over, never having to worry about whether I'm playing it correctly. 


- Volleyball. I started playing seven years ago and it has been a big part of my life ever since. I can't honestly claim to be especially great at the sport but there was never anything more refreshing to me than a good game with my best friends. We could goof around and double over in laughter at nothing in particular while simultaneously keeping the game going. 


State Championships 2010. My senior year and favorite team!


There are many more little things that I love and that make me happy. But the most important contributors to my daily smiles are the people in my life. I have seven great reasons to smile every minute and seven amazing reasons to love.


Number 1:


My mom :) The hardest working and most loving person I know. It seems the majority of our everyday conversations revolve around good books we've been reading or new recipes we want to try. She's my everyday hero.
2011- Graduation 

Number 2:


My dad is the most supportive person I know. I've seen him take on new and sometimes difficult tasks in order to make sure my brothers and sisters and I can do what we love. He is also addicted to serving others and is the best example to me of a loving neighbor and friend to everyone. 
My dad leaving me for the first time on my first day of college- 2011.
Number 3-5: 


Brothers are the best! Having three older brothers has always been fun and my favorite memories include them "babysitting" my sisters and me while our parents were out. They knew how to get into trouble and always made sure to include the girls. Sword fights, accidentally setting a couch on fire, jumping off the roof onto the trampoline, interactive ghost stories, tackle football, makeshift electric bull riding, night games, and eating a few questionable dinners are all things I loved doing with my brothers. I owe them so much for all the great stories. Now I love seeing them as adults and still being a part of their lives :) 
High School graduation night with Marcus- 2011


Kris and us girls back in the day- 1998
Nic- youngest of my older brothers. 
Kris and Nic :)
Numbers 6&7


I've always been grateful for my sisters and for having two best friends no matter what. Sara and I can quote the TV series Gilmore Girls like nothing else. Our favorite pastime is watching episodes on DVD with a carton of ice cream in hand (we never use bowls to mom's dismay). Haley can make me laugh quicker and more easily than anyone I know and can quote movies she has seen once (never Gilmore Girls) off the top of her head.
Meet Haley, my favorite little sister. "Best buddies" since 1994. 
Meet Sara, greatest big sis anyone could ask for. "If I had a nickel for every time you’ve used the ‘Girls always go to the bathroom together, Mom’ line, I’d be a very rich woman." 







My favorite quote is by former President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley:
      "Let there be something of a light tone in your life. Let there be fun and happiness, a sense of humor, the capacity to laugh occasionally at the things that are funny.” 


The things and people in my life that give me a reason to smile or laugh on a daily basis are the things I love. I can be carefree and find the little things funny, because they are. I love my family and how different each of us are. They make things interesting and give me seven reasons to love. 


We break things, spill food, back the car into mailboxes, cause a scene in a grocery store, get parking tickets, burn dinner, and do many things that can be considered mistakes. And so then we find the capacity to laugh and life goes on :) 


-Caroline 

No comments:

Post a Comment